Come work for us as an Energy Efficiency Technician!
Purpose of Position:
The Energy Efficiency Technician assists rural and small community water and wastewater utility systems in the state of Maryland in evaluating their energy needs, consumption and costs. The Technician recommends measures to reduce energy consumption and identifies potential funding sources for improvements.
- Conduct on-site energy assessments for rural and small community water and wastewater utility systems and make recommendations to those systems on how to retrofit the equipment and operate the system in the most energy efficient manner.
- Assist and educate water and wastewater utility systems to identify their current energy sources and rate structures and identify the primary energy consuming devices in the system.
- Educate utility systems how to optimize power usage schedules to minimize peak demand usage in the system. Educate utility systems on the opportunities to increase energy efficiency with high efficiency pumps, motors, and enhanced technology controls. Provide information on the return on investment of capital expenditures on energy efficient equipment. Educate and assist utility systems on the funding options available such as internal funding and/or funding through other sources.
- Travel extensively throughout the state to conduct an annual minimum of 30 energy assessments for rural and small community water and wastewater utility systems.
- Evaluate and understand the electrical energy pricing structure of the electric utilities in Maryland.
- Utilize the system specific energy assessment results to assist the utility system in developing an energy efficiency plan for the future.
- Maintain a working relationship with the State Rural Development (RD) Office.
- Accurately complete and submit the required program reporting in the required timeframe.
- Attend both NRWA In-Service Training and the NRWA WaterPro Annual Conference events. Energy Efficiency Technicians are required to obtain 20 hours of mandatory training provided.
- Work in cooperation and collaboration with all members of the MRWA office and field staff.
- All other duties as assigned.
The Energy Efficiency Technician works closely with the Executive Director/CEO, all members of the MRWA field staff, and all members of the MRWA office staff. Position reports to the Executive Director/CEO.
The Energy Efficiency Technician has daily contact with water and wastewater system personnel, government personnel, elected officials, industry representatives and technical organizations.
- Positive attitude, flexible, with the ability to work in a consultative/training role in a range of different environments
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the state
- Good sense of humor, enthusiasm and team mindedness
- Customer focused approach
- Must have working knowledge of water and wastewater systems and operations, must have knowledge of basic electrical operations as well as knowledge of energy efficiency practices and measurements
- Must be able to attend a variety of industry conferences
- Ability to prioritize requests & adhere to deadlines
- Self-motivated and able to work independently without daily supervision, high degree of initiative
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Attention to detail, accuracy, timeliness and strong organization skills essential
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft software applications such as Word, Excel and Publisher as well as Adobe Acrobat
- Valid driver’s license
The Energy Efficiency Technician is a salaried position with full range of benefits including health insurance, holidays, vacation, sick leave, 401(k), and others. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Maryland Rural Water Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin or religion as prohibited by the federal Civil Rights Act, or on basis prohibited by any other applicable law. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, MRWA will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $48,000.00 – $52,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- water or electrical: 3 years (Required)
- Driver’s License (Required)
Willingness to travel:
- 75% (Required)
Work Location: On the road